Saturday, November 28, 2009

My Television Show Idea and Coaching

It's the end of Thanksgiving which means I'm heading back to school, at school, or comtemplating dropping out. Pretty soon I will open my dorm fridge and remember that I have left milk that expired around the 15th in there until the end of the month; it should still be good. And while I should have been working on research for my History Comprehensive Exam, I did what every American male did during the past week: watch football. Running is all about endurance and being able to watch football from noon until midnight is an endurance test unto itself. Another thing I did during break was eat, a lot...

One night I was eating dinner with my family and we were watching the Biggest Loser on TV. The biggest (get the pun) irony was that we were eating these huge steaks while morbidly fat people fight to lose weight. Using my superior Wesleyan education I stumbled upon the greatest television idea since I Love Lucy, the Biggest Loser: College Football Coaches. (Sidenote: if anybody else has thought of this before, you are a liar and I thought of it well before last Tuesday night at dinner).

This could be one of the greatest shows ever and if you were wondering who the contestants would be, I saved you the trouble of thinking and included the list:

Right now, you're probably saying to yourself that Rodriguez isn't fat and I totally agree with you, but everybody could stand to lose a few pounds. The greatest thing is that these guys wouldn't even have to take time out of their spring recruiting schedule to do the show, they're all going to get fired anyways for having terrible records at the end of this season.

Which is why I am going to veer away from the topic of television shows and talk about how ridiculous is it when fat people are distance coaches. My freshmen and sophomore years of high school, the football coach was also the track coach. And while the football coach did understand the concepts of the spread offense, he knew nothing on how to maximize potential in the 1600. We did four workouts a week on the track and ran probably two meets a week during the spring. During one practice, all the distance runners had to run forties like it was the NFL combine. We were never allowed to leave the stadium, it was literally like a Nazi prison camp (maybe not). Luckily, all the jumpers had to do sprint workouts also and I would sometimes disappear behind the high jump mats and take a nap during practice. But if there is a positive, it makes me appreciate having a coach now who actually knows what he's doing.

But my television idea and thoughts on coaching will have to be put on hold for a little bit while I work on research and try to graduate from college. So I probably won't be getting much sleep and won't be doing too much research.

--

I think it's also time to point out a few things about this blog (that is if anybody is reading it). This blog is not in any way affliated with West Virginia Wesleyan College, the URL is wesleyanrunning but only because averagerunner was taken. Also, this blog is not affliated with the NCAA, the WVIAC, or their sponsors and associates. Basically, I don't want to get sued or lose my eligibility. Finally, I want to make this blog big, I was once heard a man say, "when I dream, I dream big."

Miles ran since last post: 8

1 comment:

  1. Cool, there is actually some great ideas on here some of my subscribers may find this relevant, I will send them a link, many thanks.


    series

    ReplyDelete